What are the Most Useful Study Habits?
The question of how to score high on their exam worries lots of students during the tough exam period. Of course, each student has individual study habits. However, there is a specific set of generally accepted patterns.
1. Your attitude toward approaching the material. The majority of students view studying the required materials as an obligation being totally oblivious to the primary meaning of it – the possibility to learn and discover. Yet, if you lack interest in what you need to learn, you might fail a chance to ace your test. Therefore, the less interesting the material is, the more focused you need to stay. The right attitude includes:
- Aiming at the positive thinking
- Avoiding to compare yourself with more strong students
- Staying clear of imagining worst-case scenarios
2. Provide yourself with a suitable learning enhancing atmosphere. Lack of concentration on learning is the number one reason for poor achievements. The best way is to avoid going online where you can come across plenty of distractions. Besides, you need to find a quiet place to study. It could be a student lounge room, library or a quite cafe. Bring your laptop, but use it for studying purposes only.
3. Another important question is distributing the learning material into categories. Although it may seem appealing to start with what you have already known, you need to concentrate on reading and learning new things. While doing that, you might need your lecture notes and a laptop. After you have gone through the new material, make sure that you are able to put it with your own words. Ability to verbalize accomplishes full understanding. Don’t try to memorize everything at once. Take some time to process the material.
4. After the reading and memorizing part is done, you need to test yourself on how well you comprehend the studied material. Usually, there are few review questions at the end of each chapter in your textbook. Besides, you may use the outline of your lecture notes.
5. One of the most important rules of a successful student: do not put off preparing for the test to the last minute. If you count on excellent results, start preparing two or three days before the test, so you could have more time for memorizing the material. Besides, you need to sleep well before the test to have a clear head. If you feel that the situation is getting out of hand, just refer to some professional academic services providing college assistance with writing, proofreading, etc.